Designer Catalysts for Next Generation Fuel Synthesis
Technology SummaryTransition Metal Sulfides (TMS), such as molybdenum disulfide (MoS2), are the petroleum industry’s “workhorse” catalysts for upgrading heavy petroleum feed stocks and removing sulfur, nitrogen and other pollutants from fuels. This improved synthesis technique produces single layer transition metal sulfide (SLTMS) catalysts, such as molybdenum disulfide, with potentially greater activity and specificity than those currently available.
DescriptionThis “bottoms-up” synthesis approach of single layer TMS catalysts makes them extremely uniform, implying the reactivity should be tunable for specific reactions. Next generation fuel cells will likely rely even more heavily on these types of reactions.
- Uniformity allows specifically tunable reactions
- The next generation of fuel cell synthesis points towards a growing trend in these “workhorse” catalysts
- Provides greater efficiency through nano-materials
- Advancement of alternative energy sources
Applications and Industries
- Bio-fuel production
- Hydrogen generation
- Direct coal liquefaction
- Oil refining
Energy & Environment
Download the PDFs for more information
- Designer Catalysts- Fact Sheet (903 KB)
|Single-layer transition metal sulfide catalysts||11218.0||7,951,747||05/31/2011